Business Communication: Teamwork
Teamwork is something that must be learned and practiced in order to be effective. And just like top sport teams have to practice the skills, so do you in your professional lives. I have noticed that most people are unaware of what really works when it comes to getting individuals to team.
Accepting and understanding the fact that people are different, and therefore, need to be treated as individuals is integral to the concept of teamwork. The most successful teams recognize their differing member’s opinions, experiences, and working styles as a source of strength to the team. Understanding the “style” of your teammates and applying them will increase levels of trust and credibility.
We have discovered what actually works when it comes to increasing team effectiveness. In my CD, the Magic of Teamwork, I talk about the secrets of Teamwork. I call it STAR-D.
START TRUST ASK REINFORCE DIALOGUE
The STAR-D framework provides the skills to:
· Shift the mindset from “you OR me” to “you AND me.”
· Strengthen the “trust” between team members.
· Capitalize on COOPERATION more than COMPETITION.
· Reinforce the behaviors you wish to encourage.
· Change the team dynamic through the use of language.
· Empower your team by capitalizing on individual strengths.
· Increase power
· Get results faster
By learning and incorporating the skills of STAR-D the end result will be greater productivity and satisfaction for all team members.
I wish you much success,
Dr. J. Mitchell Perry